Who are we?
What is Karmafy?
Using a Karmafy-enabled App or Website
As an Anonymous User
When you start using a Karmafy-enabled app or website (“app” for short), we create an anonymous Karmafy account to hold the Karmafy Points you earn. The account is identified by a random number and does not allow Karmafy to determine your real identity. While you are using the app, we will record the following data:
- In-app activities that can earn you Karmafy points, e.g., completing a level in a game, making an in-app purchase, watching advertising material.
- A history of Karmafy Points earned and how you earned them.
- Your choice of one or more causes as beneficiary/ies of the Karmafy Points you earn. This includes previous choices, even if you change your mind later.
- Possibly your user name and/or user ID in the app itself, if the app developer has chosen to support this. Again, this will not enable Karmafy to find your real identity.
- Device settings that improve the user experience, such as your language preferences and the device type.
- The IP number currently assigned to your device. This is usually enough information to determine the country and city you’re in.
While you are using a Karmafy-enabled app anonymously, we will not:
- Ask for your personal identity or attempt to figure it out.
- Access personal information on your device, such as contacts, messages, photos, etc.
- Attempt to determine your physical location.
As a Registered User
You will be given the option of registering with Karmafy and becoming a Karmafy user. This requires you to identify yourself with either a valid email address and/or log in through a third-party service such as Facebook. You will be asked to choose a user name. Your email address, Facebook identity and Karmafy user name will be recorded and stored by Karmafy.
As a registered Karmafy user, you use a single account to hold the Karmafy Points you earn in all Karmafy-enabled apps. You will be able to access the Karmafy website to view and modify all information associated with your account.
Since we intend to build a social network for doing good, the following information about you may be made available to other participants in the network:
- Your user name and (if uploaded) profile picture.
- Your total earned Karma Points, achievements, high scores, etc.
- Your selections, contributions and interactions with causes.
Nobody but Karmafy will have access to your personal identity such as email address and Facebook user ID. We will not share this information with anybody without your consent. This includes the owners/operators of Karmafy-enabled apps and other services. You may at any time decide to close your Karmafy account by logging on to our website https://user.karmafy.com.
Third-party Data Processors
In operating Karmafy, we make use of several third-party services:
- Google Analytics. We use GA for statistical and monitoring purposes only. We may send records of your Karmafy activities to GA, but in anonymised form.
- Branch.io. Used for attributing new installs to selection of HTTP links, Facebook shares, etc. We are not sending personal user data to Branch.io.
- Braintree. Occasionally, you will be given the opportunity to donate directly to a cause. Payment is processed by Braintree, a division of PayPal, Inc. While Karmafy will retain a record of your donation, we have no access to your credit card information, which is securely communicated between yourself and Braintree.
We may choose to contract with additional third-party services in the future, but we will always anonymise your data.
We endeavour to keep your information secure through industry-standard physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards. If we detect a breach of security that may have caused your information to be revealed or compromised, we shall notify you.
The Karmafy servers are hosted by Microsoft Azure in the “West Europe” region, as well as Amazon Web Services, Inc., which meets the requirements for data transfer out of the European Economic Area (EEA). We may choose to relocate hosting entirely to the EU at some point in the future.
Changes to this Policy
Changes to this policy will be announced on the Karmafy web site and, if such changes have direct relevance to yourself, in a message displayed inside Karmafy-enabled apps.
As a company operating in Malta, Karmafy is required to comply with the Data Protection Act 2001, which implements the European Data Protection Directive (95/46/EC). In preparing this policy, we have tried to follow the recommendations in “Opinion 02/2013 on apps on smart devices“ issued by the Article 29 Data Protection Working Party.